Wednesday, January 12, 2005

What people are saying

Some of the reaction to the senate situation here in KY that appeared in the editorial page of the Courier-Journal:
`Ashamed' to be Republican
The GOP must stand for goofy old party. I cannot believe the Republicans in Kentucky would stoop this low. In just about everything that's a contest, if you are ineligible, you lose.

I can see why Sen. Bob Leeper was so upset. He tried to do the right thing and proposed a special election. The Republican Party, with the pathetic leadership of Senate President David Williams, had to play politics as usual and disgraced the Republican Party.

It's time for our senators to quit playing political games and start doing the right things. I am ashamed to be a Republican.

KEVIN COLE
Fairdale, Ky. 40118

Agrees with Sen. Leeper
I am extremely disappointed in the Senate Republicans who voted to seat Dana Seum Stephenson in the Kentucky state Senate when she does not meet the residency requirements to serve. I agree with Sen. Bob Leeper that a special election should be held to fill this seat.

It is a shame that the senators who actually agreed with him did not have the courage to stand up and do what was right. I can only imagine they thought it would be too cold and lonely standing on their principles.

BRENDA.BUSH
Frankfort, Ky. 40601

A special election
I couldn't believe my eyes when I read that the state Senate had sworn in Dana Seum Stephenson for the 37th District seat. I thought that, even though the Senate is Republican controlled, they would do the right thing. Boy was I wrong.

Yes, I am a Democrat and I voted for Virginia Woodward. But I also believe in our state's constitution, and the only fair thing to do would have been to have a special election with properly qualified candidates.

Our senators might as well have taken a match to our state's constitution.

If Stephenson had any respect for the law, the citizens who voted for her, the state constitution and Kentucky, she would demand a new election and remove herself from the Senate.

For the first time in my life, I am ashamed to be a Kentuckian.

KENNETH VESSELS
Louisville 40258

Change oath of office
Perhaps now that the Kentucky Senate has voted to seat Dana Seum Stephenson, it can get on with changing the oath of office.

May I suggest: "I will uphold only the parts of the Kentucky Constitution that I agree with."

GREG TORPEY
Louisville 40205

`It's a sad day'
It seems like in Kentucky you don't have to be a legal resident to be a state senator. So why should people in Indiana, who own property at the many lakes in Kentucky, have to buy non-resident fishing and hunting licenses? They own property and always plan on going back to Kentucky.

Shame on the Kentucky Senate for its action. It's a sad day in the Bluegrass. I don't live in the 37th District, but I'll watch who voted on this mockery.

A special election should have been held on this matter.

RUDOLPH TOBBE Jr.
Louisville 40229

Can't `violate' Constitution
I am outraged that the Senate seated Dana Seum Stephenson last Friday. From what I have read, the Kentucky Constitution explicitly defines the qualifications for any senator. I realize it also gives the Senate some flexibility to determine additional criteria for senators, but obviously this flexibility cannot violate the constitution.

It is one thing if the Senate wants to change the constitution to allow this to happen, but it cannot arbitrarily choose to ignore it. This is blatant disregard for process and, in my opinion, criminal....

I am also outraged about how this looks to the rest of the country. We have enough problems convincing companies and talented individuals to move into the state because of the lack of business and educational opportunities. When the Kentucky legislature engages in cronyism and acts like old-style politicians such as Huey Long or Boss Tweed, it only confirms the stereotypes of Kentucky. Will our senators please explain how they will correct this perception?

RICHARD STEPHENSON
Louisville 40206

Wants a Senate vote
The Courier-Journal quoted Sen. David Williams as saying, "If 20 people in this body (state Senate) voted that someone was 30 years old, no court in the land could overturn that."

Senator, please vote that I am 70 years old, so I can draw some Social Security while there is still some left.

RICK SHELTON
Louisville 40229

The senators' `hypocrisy'
Just what is the position of the Kentucky Senate leaders when it comes to the state constitution? Last spring, they said we needed a constitutional amendment making gay marriages illegal because the current law isn't strong enough. The law needed the power of the constitution behind it.

However, less than a year later, these same Senate leaders are ignoring the same constitution by seating Dana Seum Stephenson. The state constitution clearly lays out residency requirements, which Stephenson doesn't come close to meeting.

So which is it — the state's most powerful holder of the law, or a document to be used when it is convenient? This appears to be hypocrisy at its finest.

BRAD PETERSON
Louisville 40229

`Long-range consequences'
Will the state of Indiana now go after Sen. Dana Seum Stephenson for fraud for claiming to be an Indiana resident, because she now claims she is a Kentucky resident?

Does the Kentucky Republican Party understand that the law it bent for Stephenson's benefit may benefit the Democrats in the future?

Does anybody in Frankfort consider the long-range consequences of political decisions?

Unfortunately, the answer to all these questions is probably "No."

NEWMAN T. GUTHRIE
Louisville 40223
I commend all them on speaking out in favor of the state consititution.

No comments: