Monday, March 24, 2008

The Senate Endorsement

This is one of those internal debates that have been going on for quite some time and I've decided that I am going to just say it once and for all. I am endorsing Bruce Lunsford for Senate.

There. I said it.

I've decided to follow Change to Win in endorsing Bruce Lunsford as Kentucky's next Senator.
Change to Win is made up of the Teamsters, the United Food and Commercial Workers, the Jefferson County Teachers Association, the Service Employees International Union, the Laborers International Union and UNITE HERE.
And the AFL-CIO:
"We think he's got the best chance to beat McConnell," said AFL-CIO President Bill Londrigan. "It's important to focus on that goal. Mitch McConnell is not a friend of working families across Kentucky and across this country."[...]

But Londrigan said at Saturday's candidate interviews -- which included Lunsford and two of his opponents, Louisville businessman Greg Fischer and Prospect pain doctor Michael Cassaro -- that Lunsford showed that he supports labor on important issues, including legislation that would make it easier for workers to organize.

"We've had our differences," Londrigan acknowledged. "But this shows the resiliency of our efforts in politics and that we can come together for our common purpose."
While I originally support Andrew Horne's candidacy for the United States Senate and seeing as he is no longer in the race, I feel that Bruce Lunsford is our best bet to defeat Mitch McConnell in the fall. Many of you may disagree with me on my choice of who our next senator should be but at the end of the day, we are still Democrats.

You can read my interview from last month with our next senator here.
DS: What do you believe should be the three most important priorities for Congress?
BL: My three most important priorities for congress:
1. Getting our economy back on track and balancing the budget.
2. Bringing our troops home safely from Iraq.
3. Fixing the health care system so everyone gets covered.

No comments: