Tuesday, November 14, 2006

2007: Mayor Jerry Abramson and Auditor Crit Luallen not running

Mark Hebert reported that both Louisville Mayor Jerry Abramson and State Auditor Crit Luallen are not running for governor in 2007.
Abramson had toyed with the idea of a statewide race immediately after getting sworn in as Metro Mayor. But he told his cabinet this morning that he'd be staying put in the mayor's office.

In a statement, Abramson said, "Although I am humbled by the incredible encouragement from people throughout the Commonwealth to run for governor, the time that I spent recently on the campaign trail reinforced my love for my hometown. Therefore, I am announcing today that I will not run for governor next year. It's an exciting and pivotal time in Louisville, and I want to continue the progress that we're making. We have much work to do to achieve our ambitious goals. Many of the challenges facing our city and communities around the Commonwealth depend heavily on decisions made in Frankfort and Washington. I will continue to work diligently with our elected leaders - including those who run for governor next year - to encourage decisions that provide more opportunities for Louisville and Kentucky to succeed."

And he's not the only high profile Democrat who's decided not to run for governor. State Auditor Crit Luallen has a news conference scheduled for Tuesday afternoon to announce that she won't seek the governor's office, either.

With Luallen and Abramson out of the race, and Ben Chandler expected to stay in Congress, the Democratic Party's choices for a nominee are narrowing.

Steve Henry is running while Greg Stumbo, Brereton Jones and Jack Conway of Louisville are thinking about it.
This is interesting news considering all the rumors going around lately.

Had Mayor Abramson been a candidate, then yes, I would have officially endorsed him for governor but alas, that was not to be. I really don't know what to say now.

I just don't see State Treasurer Jonathan Miller making a run for Governor.

My thoughts on Atty. General Greg Stumbo are the same as they were in April 2003. I'm just not a fan. The same goes for former Lt. Governor Steve Henry.

As to Jack Conway, there are several pros for his potential candidacy. However, time will tell before I make an OFFICIAL endorsement from this blog for a candidate in 2007.

No comments: