Monday, January 10, 2005

Thanks for the Memories, Ron

Ron, I am saddened to see the unofficial closing of Politics1.com. Here is what Ron had to say:
LAST CALL (or: "It's not you ... it's me.") For a while now, I could tell it was time for me to move on to other projects. I finally made the decision to do so on New Year's Day ... and then decided to wait a week or so to be really certain this was what I wanted to do.

I loved my experience in creating and running Politics1. I launched this one-person, public service educational project in late 1997 and it grew rapidly, gaining a loyal and sizable following. It also successfully operated "in the black" for the entire run. I'm rather satisfied with the accomplishments of Politics1 over the past 6+ years. Still, all good things must come to an end.

The reason I know it is the right time do this is because I've had this gut feeling for several months now. I first ruminated on the concept months ago in mid-2004 in the blog. The more I've thought about it, the more it is clear what I want to do.

When what was once "fun" has become dreaded now as hours of "work" each week, it is time for me to move on. (Remember, my publishing of Politics1 comes in addition to holding down a very full-time job as General Counsel & Director of Administration of a government agency.)

Likewise, when I feel my writing and humor are losing their edge, then it is also time to move on. Frankly, I'm finding it very hard these days to see humor in the sad state of American politics.

Most importantly -- as appalled and disgusted as I currently am with our political system at nearly all levels -- I understand the need for a real vacation away from everything political. That's why I also turned down every campaign consulting opportunity that I've been approached with over the past few months for the 2005-06 cycle. Is this a permanent departure for me from professional politics? Probably not, but I don't know.

So, what's next for Politics1?

I'll keep the site online and continue to own it, but without posting any new updates for at least one year. The only exception will be the continuing updates on the 1/23 Marines from my friend Lt. James Crabtree in Iraq. I will continue to post these reports here until they return home in March 2005, as I understand how important these are to the 1/23 families. Then, after the 1/23 Marines return home, I don't plan to post any more updates until at least January 2006 at the earliest. That is when I will reassess this decision and see if I want to start it up again.

Until then, I'll keep checking my email (so feel free to keep in touch).

I'll get to catch up on a huge pile of books (mainly 20th Century French, Eastern European and Soviet history) ... spend more time outside and with friends ... and hopefully get back to having a relatively normal and more quiet life.

I'm even developing a smaller new web project -- entirely outside of politics -- as the publisher of the official website of French national cycling champion Thomas Voeckler. For those who don't really follow much pro cycling -- aside from Lance Armstrong and his yellow bracelets -- Thomas was the little-known 25-year-old in last year's Tour de France race who amazingly captured and defended the yellow jersey for ten days. Now he's viewed as one of the best hopes over the next decade to restore France to greatness in the sport. So, as I wrote above, you can see I'll remain connected -- but in a different way.

So, before I turn the lights off and walk out for the last time, I wanted to thank each of you -- including those who criticized me for my politics or my web design skills -- for helping to create the real sense of community we enjoyed in the blog and on the site.

Likewise, I want to thank those of you who regularly sent me information and news tips, who contributed money or purchased ads on the site, and who helped in so many other ways.

I also owe a debt of gratitude to the curmudgeonly Howard Dean, who got me reconnected with politics again as a "true believer." I was so jaded and cynical for years towards everything and everyone in politics until I got involved in his campaign (and even spent primary week freezing in New Hampshire as a Deaniac volunteer). The Dean campaign ultimately faltered, but through it I found in myself the ability to believe in "the cause" again.

Publishing Politics1 was a wonderful experience. Every day of it. No regrets.

But now it is time to close this chapter and move forward. My best wishes to each of you.

Warmest regards and au revoir,
Posted by Ron Gunzburger - 1.10.05
So long Ron!

No comments: