Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Oklahoma State forces Sean Sutton out

I feel like the administration, from everything that I have read on the subject, forced him to resign. That said, there's no way that Oklahoma State hires Bill Self or Billy Gillispie. If there are four jobs that you would not walk away from, they would be Kentucky, Kansas, UCLA, and North Carolina. These are powerhouses. Obviously, Tubby Smith felt it was in his best interests to walk away because of the pressure. And Rick Pitino wanted to try the NBA but he realized far too late that there was a good thing going on at UK. Roy Williams played for Dean Smith at North Carolina and when UNC called him home, he went back. I realize Bill Self is an OSU alumnus but he's at Kansas, one of the premier jobs in all of college basketball.

AP:
"I think Sean was probably a victim of those expectations," Holder said. "He was put in a tough situation. It's hard enough to follow a legend. But when that legend is your father, that's probably tough to the third power. Perhaps, in a different set of circumstances, he would have enjoyed more success.

"Life is not fair. Athletics is not fair," he said. "At the end of the day, I feel like it's the right decision."

Holder said he and Sutton agreed on Sutton's decision to resign. Sutton did not attend a news conference at the university Tuesday and did not return messages left by The Associated Press on his cell phone.

"It has been a great experience and I have loved every minute of my time here at OSU," Sutton said in a statement released by the university.[...]

Holder said he has not contacted any other schools to ask to speak with their coaches. Two prominent coaches with connections to either Oklahoma State or the state of Oklahoma, Bill Self of Kansas and Billy Gillispie of Kentucky, have indicated they would not leave their current jobs.

"I do care deeply about my alma mater," Self said Tuesday. "I spent 11 years of my life at OSU and everything, but nobody there has contacted me from there. If they were to ask me what they should do, I would suggest they go a different direction. I'm not being remotely disrespectful to my alma mater.

"My intentions are to be here at Kansas, period."

Gillispie, a former assistant under Self at Tulsa, coached at Oklahoma State's Big 12 Conference rival, Texas A&M, until this past season, when he went 18-13 at Kentucky. He never has signed a contract at Kentucky, instead working under a two-page memorandum of understanding that details his compensation package.

No comments: