Saturday, December 02, 2006

The Outlook for Congress in 2008

The Washington Post's Fix takes a look at some of the 2008 House Races. No Kentucky candidates are listed but I expect that both Congressmen John Yarmuth and Ben Chandler will be re-elected in the third and sixth districts, respectively.

Over in the first district, I would not be surprised if former Congresman Tom Barlow, who has run so much for that seat to the point where he's now considered as a frequent candidate, declares his candidacy soon. I've also heard that State Sen. Jerry Rhoads might be interested.

Outgoing State Rep. Mike Weaver gave Rep. Ron Lewis a run for his money in the second district and time will tell as to whether or not Col. Weaver will run again. Weaver is a moderate Democrat who used to be in the military. I've not heard too many names come up for the race yet. The only name I have heard so far is current State Rep. Tommy Thompson of Owensboro.

As to the fourth district, it's so conservative that I think the Republican candidate will win no matter what. Ken Lucas is a conservative Democrat and I honestly do not think he had put in the 100% needed for a campaign to win. I think that barring a major mistake from Geoff Davis, it's Davis' for the taking. That said, I have heard State Rep. Tanya Pullin's name come up for this race.

Finally, the fifth district is the seat that will belong to Republican Congressman Hal Rogers until he retires. The GOP lost the House this year and Rogers may feel like he was gipped of the Appropriations committee chairmanship after the 2004 election, and maybe he might want to retire. Once he does, expect someone like Dr. Daniel Mongiardo or Attorney General Greg Stumbo to run for the seat.

It is of my opinion that we will definitely win two seats, being the third and sixth. I don't know about the others and we may have lost the fourth for good.

No comments: