Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why I didn't post on the false Obama article...

A while back, I got an email detailing how Sen. Obama was brought up. I decided against posting it and here's why. I was unsure if it was true and the last thing I want to do is participate in "character assasination." Turns out, the article that I was emailed was completely slanderous seeing as how CNN investigated into the article and found out it was completely untrue.

Furthermore, as I've been growing religiously over the past few years (These days, I'm probably closer in beliefs to Orthodox Judaism.), while I do not force my religious beliefs upon you, there is this thing in Judaism called Lashon Hora, the sin of gossip. For those of you unfamiliar with the concept, here is some background on the definitions as defined by the Chafetz Chaim:
Lashon Hara - any derogatory or damaging (physically, financially, socially, or stress-inducing) communication.
Rechilut - any communication that generates animosity between people.
It's one of thirty-one positive or negative mitzvot relating to speech--and it's also one of the reasons as to why I'm rarely blogging about the other participants of the governor's race.
Lev. 25:17 - "You shall not wrong one another" which the Talmud (Bava Metzia 58b) explains that this means saying anything that will insult or anger someone.
Our religious beliefs may be different but when it comes down to it, we are all human and no matter how hard we try, no one is perfect.

However, character assasination will not be tolerated by this blog. I admit right now that I have deleted comments in the past few weeks after seeking the advise of some close friends. I believe in free speech and it can only go so far. However, I reserve the right to moderate comments if things do get out of hand so please try and be civil. Name calling will not be tolerated here nor will character assasination. I have zero-tolerance for those that deny the Shoah (Holocaust) and I just deleted a comment this very evening which I interpreted as borderline anti-Semitic.

I think I've said my $.02.

No comments: