Friday, December 01, 2006

More on the Governor's race

I realize that this has probably been posted on Bluegrass Report before I even get up but oh well. Here is the C-J's take on things.
Louisville businessman Charlie Owen, who was Chandler's running mate in 2003, and former Gov. Brereton Jones, who has said he's considering the race, did not return phone calls yesterday for comment.

Attorney General Greg Stumbo said, "Ben Chandler was the one Democrat who could have been a consensus candidate. His decision makes the race more interesting from my perspective."

Steve Beshear, a former lieutenant governor and attorney general who lost the 1987 Democratic primary for governor, said he had urged Chandler to run.

With Chandler out, he said, he is "actively considering" a run.

Jack Conway, a Louisville lawyer who ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2002, said, "I'm continuing to very seriously consider the race."

Conway said, "I expect a multicandidate Democratic primary which will be hotly contested. I wouldn't describe it as bloody because I expect we'll unify behind a strong, credible nominee. I am committed to that."

State Sen. Daniel Mongiardo, of Hazard, said, "I've said all along I thought Ben was our party's best hope of winning in '07, but now that he's out I'm looking more seriously than ever at running for governor."

State Treasurer Jonathan Miller said Chandler's decision "takes my consideration to a more serious level."

He said, "I believe there will be a primary, but I'm hopeful it will not be divisive as it was in 2003."
We sure cannot forget our friends at the Herald-Leader.

No comments: