Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Despite pleading guilty, Turner keeps leadership post

With respect to the former president, I took the day off from blogging.

I thought Democrats were supposed to be better than this. I, for one, am disappointed in the entire caucus for voting to keep Johnny Ray Turner in his leadership post.
Turner expressed gratitude to his colleagues in the General Assembly.

"I would like to thank all the membership of the Senate, Democrats and Republicans alike, for all the support they have shown me," he said. "I would also like to thank all the people who have called me to congratulate me on getting all this behind me."
The potential candidates running against Trey Grayson have nothing bad to say against him according to Pat Crowley.
Lexington businessman Dick Robinson, who produces a sports talk show on radio, and state Sen. Rick Nelson of Middlesboro in southeastern Kentucky are considering challenging Grayson.[...]

"I'm thinking about it," Nelson, a retired school teacher elected to the Legislature in 2000, said Friday. "I'll be talking to some of my colleagues and I'll probably make a decision about mid-week. It's a big jump, running statewide, so I want to talk it over with some more people before I decide.

"I don't have anything bad to say about (Grayson)," he said. "I'd like to continue with the civics education he started and be innovative in the services the office can provide to businesses."[...]

Robinson is the creator and general manager of the "Joe B. and Denny Crum" radio show, which is hosted by former University of Kentucky basketball coach Joe B. Hall and former University of Louisville basketball coach Denny Crum.

Robinson served as personnel secretary for Gov. John Y. Brown Jr., who held office from 1979 to 1983. He was also a member of the administrations of former Lexington Mayors Scotty Baesler and Pam Miller. And he was on the finance committee of Lexington Mayor Jim Newberry, who was elected Nov. 7.

"I probably will run," Robinson said Friday. "I'm seriously considering it and expect to announce my decision ... in late January."

Robinson said he respects Grayson and would be a "very worthy opponent."

"He is a very nice young man, a nice fellow to be around," Robinson said. "This is not a reflection on Trey Grayson, but more on George Bush, Ernie Fletcher and the Republican administrations in Washington and Frankfort."

Many Democrats believe voters are disenchanted with GOP leadership because of how Bush has handled the war in Iraq, Hurricane Katrina and other matters, and because of the hiring scandal that resulted in criminal charges - which have since been dropped - against Fletcher.

"I believe the majority of Kentucky voters don't agree with the policies of George Bush, Ernie Fletcher and the Republicans," Robinson said.

Grayson issued a statement through a spokesman when asked to comment on the potential challenge.

"Secretary Grayson has demonstrated proven, innovative and ethical leadership during his tenure," spokesman Les Fugate said. "He has consistently shown his willingness to tackle difficult issues and to reach out across party lines to improve Kentucky. His independence and experience is precisely the kind of leadership that Kentuckians want in their state's chief election officer."

No comments: