Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Old-School Quotes

These are old-school quotes from back in the day from the late Vice President Alben Barkley, Governor Happy Chandler, and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

From Happy's autobiography (Page 259):
Alben Barkley:
He was making the keynote speech at a mock convention of students at Washington and Lee University. He concluded: "And I am willing to be a junior. I'm glad to sit in the back row, for I would rather be a servant in the house of the L-rd than sit in the seats of the mighty."

Barkley stepped back, and fell over dead of a heart attack. He was 78.

FDR on Happy Chandler and Alben Barkley in the 1938 Senate Race (137) at a Latonia Racetrack appearance in Covington:
"I have no doubt that Governor Chandler would make a good Senator from Kentucky--but I think that he would be the first to acknowledge that as a very junior member of the Senate it would take him many, many years to match the national knowledge, the experience and acknowledged leadership in the affairs of our nation of the son of Kentucky of whom the whole nation if proud, Alben Barkley."

In speeches afterwards, Governor Chandler followed up by saying: "He says he is a good friend of mine, and I have made a good governor, and I'll make a good Senator--and that's enough for me."

On going to the Senate in 1939 (143): "Won't old Roosevelt be one surprised human being to see Happy Chandler showing up in the Senate!"

No comments: